Changes to Building Inspections due to COVID-19:

o Process permits to the best of our abilities through mail, email and fax.

o Perform outdoor inspections as we would normally.

o Perform commercial inspections as we would normally.

o If contractor or resident cannot send permits/licensing through email or fax, drop off in drive through window at City Hall (200 W. Grand Ave.).

o Inspectors will provide 10 minutes advanced notice of arrival to site so areas may be cleared of workers. Up to two site managers may accompany inspector.

o All individuals must maintain 6’ distance from inspector at all times.

o Failure to clear the area or maintain adequate distance will result in a failed inspection and the inspector leaving the site immediately.



Changes to In-Home Inspections due to COVID-19

o Reviewed on a case by case basis.

o Inspections will be prioritized on the impact to immediate usability of occupied spaces and the health/safety of residents.

o Inspector will provide 10 minute advanced notice of arrival.

o All individuals must maintain 6’ distance from inspector at all times.

o Failure to clear the area or maintain adequate distance will result in a failed inspection and the inspector leaving the site immediately.

o One individual may accompany inspector, all others must be fully separated away from inspector.


Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns. Stay safe!


Phone: 316-529-5940

Fax: 316-529-5945


The inspection and permitting function of the Public Works Department is the regulation and enforcement of  City ordinances concerning housing, fencing and commercial buildings through plan review, issuance of building permits, licensing of contractors and construction inspection


The City Requires all contractors to have a City of Haysville license before doing any work within the city limits of Haysville.  All Forms can also be obtained at the Public Works Office Building at 401 S. Jane.

Building Contractor License App.

Plumbing Contractor License App.

Mechanical Contractor License App.

Irrigation Contractor License App.

Electrical Contractor License App.

Drain Layer Contractor License App.

Cement Contractor License App.

Site Plan Requirements

For residential construction such as a detached accessory structures; which do not exceed 1000 sq. ft. measured at the floor, fences, swimming pools or decks where the walking surface is more than 30" above grade; the site plan must show the following:


  • Property lines

  • Utility and/or drainage easements and the size of said easements

  • Location and footprint of all existing structures with approx. distance to property lines

  • Location of all utilities and how they serve structures (e.g., overhead or underground electric, gas, sewer)

  • Scope of project which permit is being requested

  • Estimated value of improvement or how much is it costing to do project requested

  • Common address

  • Legal description

  • Property owner name and number (rental properties must use licensed contractor)

Haysville City Code 

Chapter 4

Building Code

Projects Which Require A Permit

If in doubt, call the Public Works Department.

  • Finishing previously unfinished spaces such as rec rooms, family rooms, basements, etc.

  • Repair and underpinning

  • Installation/replacement of wood stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, air conditioners and condensing units

  • Installation of pools

  • Construction of decks 30" or more above the ground

  • Construction of accessory buildings (sheds, garages, etc.) exceeding 100 square feet or more measured at the floor.

  • All fences

  • Adding/modifying/replacing a sidewalk or driveway approach

  • Changing door or window opening sizes

  • Replacing electrical service panels, or adding electrical circuits

  • Reroofing

  • Residing

  • Adding or moving plumbing fixtures

  • Replacing water, sewer or gas lines

  • Signs


A building permit is required in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public. It does so by providing the means for City officials to review the project design and to inspect the construction for minimum standards as required by the adopted Building Code and the City Code.

A building permit is required for new construction, additions, alterations, renovations, relocations, and repairs or rehabilitation of a building or structure. Some minor repairs do not require a permit. Electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits may also be required.


If a building permit is required, you might also be required to have a stormwater runnoff permit from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. .

Projects Which Do Not Require A Permit

If in doubt, call the Public Works Department at 529-5940.

  • Replacement of doors when the opening is not altered

  • Replacement of landing and stairs, if not more than three steps or more than 30" above grade

  • Patching, painting and decorating

  • Installation of cabinets and shelves

Note: Although a building permit may not be required, it is still necessary to comply with applicable codes.



Chad Bettles


The City Inspector inspects all projects requiring permits to ensure all structural, electrical, plumbing and mechanical work is in compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.

Site Plan Requirements Cont.

Commercial projects require licensed contractors for improvements. Engineers and/or Architects are required to draw site plans with regard to landscaping, submit stamped drawings for electrical, plumbing, structural, HVAC, plumbing, etc. 95% of commercial is done by design.

Great Things Are Happening in Haysville
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon

City of Haysville

200 W. Grand Ave.

Haysville, KS 67060